Lisa York Bowman, the Managing Member of York Bowman Law, LLC, has over 20 years of experience litigating with a focus on employment law. Lisa’s practice is devoted to helping executives negotiate employment contracts and severance agreements. Lisa also helps small to mid-sized businesses with all employment related matters, including:
- Covid-19 compliance for employers;
- Federal EEO Investigator;
- Federal court litigation;
- Severance negotiations;
- Department of Labor Audits;
- EEOC Charges;
- Employee terminations;
- Policy and Procedure Manuals;
- Harassment and Discrimination training;
- Non-Compete Agreements;
- Non-Solicitation Agreements;
- Non-Disclosure Agreements;
- Independent Contractor Agreements;
- Fair Labor Standards Act compliance and litigation;
- Family Medical Leave Act compliance and litigation;
- Older Workers’ Benefit Protection Act compliance and litigation;
- Title VII litigation;
- Unemployment Compensation hearings;
- Vendor contract negotiations;
- Americans With Disabilities Act compliance and litigation;
- Domestic Service Workers compliance;
- Job descriptions;
- White Collar Exemptions;
- Referral Bonus Programs;
- Pregnancy Discrimination Claims;
- Physician employment arrangements
- Child Labor Law Issues During Covid -19, Peachtree Business Connection, 2020
- Covid-19 Compliance for Employers, Peachtree Business Connection, 2020
- FMLA Training for HR, Financial Industry, 2018
- Equal Employment Opportunity Training, Logistics Industry, 2018
- Essential Terms of an Employment Agreement, Trusted Advisor Network, 2017
- Analyzing Non-Compete Agreements, Trusted Advisor Network, 2017
- How to Pay Hourly Employees who Travel, Peachtree Business Connection, 2016
- How to Organize Employee Files, Peachtree Business Connection, 2016
- Analyzing Non-Compete Agreements, Peachtree Business Connection, 2016
- Identifying Independent Contractors v Employees, Peachtree Business Connection, 2016
- Creating & Maintaining Electronic Filing Systems, Hall Prangle & Schoonveld Utah Staff, 2007
- Proper Nursing Documentation, Ogden Regional Medical Center Nursing Education, 2006
- Brain Injury Litigation, Community Health System Risk Management Conference, 2003
- Jack & Jill of America, Inc., Dunwoody- Chapter, Member 2020; Executive Board, 2021
- The Atlanta Academy, Strategic Planning Committee, 2020
- The Atlanta Academy, Gladiator Fund, Co -Chair, 2019
- Action Ministries, Smart Lunch Smart Kid, 2019
- IXOYE Global Entrepreneurship Network, Board of Directors, 2011
- State Bar of Georgia, 2008 to date
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys, 2008 to date
- Utah Bar Association, 2008 to date
- Illinois Bar Association, 2005 to date
- Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Advisory Committee, 2005
- Tennessee Bar Association, 1998 to date
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, 1993 to date
- Miller v Dacus, 231 S.W.3d 903, Tenn. 2007 – addresses informed consent in labor & delivery cases.
- Bravo v. Sumner Regional Health Systems, Inc. d/b/a Sumner Regional Medical Center v. Robert Dabney, M.D., No. M2002-02642-COA-R3-CV – Tennessee Court of Appeals, December 23, 2003 – further defined the requirements under T.C.A. § 29-26-115 (locality rule) regarding an expert’s competence to testify.
- Hill v. Lamberth, et al., No. M2000-02408-COA-R3-CV, Tennessee Court of Appeals, October 2, 2001 – summary judgment on behalf of a school board affirmed.
Click each state for selected legal accomplishments by Lisa in that state:
- Efficiently conducted multiple federal EEO investigations on behalf of five government agencies – Record of Investigations completed on behalf of all agencies.
- Developed extensive policy manuals for clients in the construction and financial services industries – Covid-19 compliance included/updated in all manuals.
- Effectively negotiated severance packages for multiple executives of a healthcare corporation during the Covid-19 pandemic – extensive severance packages obtained.
- Successfully counseled a financial services corporation on Covid-19 compliance and the North American Industry Classification System – “Essential Industry” guidance provided.
- Negotiated settlement of an audit by the federal Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division, on behalf of a construction corporation – civil penalties waived.
- Effectively negotiated nuisance settlement of a claim alleging wage and hour violations on behalf of an agricultural company – relied on the agricultural exemption of the Fair Labor Standards Act to reduce the value of the claim.
- Defeated an FMLA claim in the Northern District Court of Georgia on behalf of a financial institution – summary judgment granted.
- Successfully represented a government official in a claim of racial discrimination under Title VII before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission – received a Determination of Fault and ultimately resolved the matter in favor of the government official.
- Effectively counseled both the Chief Executive Officer and in-house counsel of a healthcare corporation on issues involved in a planned uninsured patient’s discharge and transfer – developed a strategic plan to locate alternative placement for the patient in compliance with federal statutes.
- Successfully counseled a healthcare corporation during all stages of an investigation by the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services (CMS) regarding an alleged violation of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) – defeated the complaint and the client was deemed to be in compliance with EMTALA.
- Successfully guided a healthcare corporation during its response to an investigation by the Office of Civil Rights regarding an alleged violation of the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) – defeated the complaint and the client was deemed to be in compliance with HIPAA.
- Served as lead counsel for a healthcare corporation in a lawsuit filed by a credentialed physician who claimed tortious interference with a non-compete clause – resolved all issues with summary judgment.
- Developed a strategic plan for a healthcare corporation to avoid liability for multiple staff physicians’ use of the Prolift, TVT sling, Pinnacle, and SPARC (surgical mesh) products – defeated all claims in federal court with summary judgment avoiding punitive damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully defended an orthopaedic surgeon against claims of professional malpractice by discrediting plaintiff’s expert orthopaedic surgeon and then strategically filing a substantive Motion in Limine prior to the trial date – resulted in resolution for nuisance value.
- Negotiated an extremely favorable pre-suit settlement of a claim made against a healthcare corporation involving the intra-operative use of Heparin and Protamine.
- Successfully developed a strategy for a major healthcare corporation to defeat a series of lawsuits that failed to comply with the technical requirements of a newly enacted medical malpractice statute – successfully resolved all lawsuits with dismissal.
- Developed a strategic plan for a physician practice group to avoid liability for suspected insurance fraud by a member- liability avoided.
- Defended various healthcare organizations during a series of Fair Hearings initiated by multiple physicians pursuant to Medical Staff Bylaws – obtained winning results during the Fair Hearings.
- Defended an obstetrician-gynecologist during an attempt by the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners to suspend licensure – successfully negotiated an agreement to avoid suspension.
- Served as trial counsel in federal court on behalf of an obstetrician-gynecologist in a complex neonatal encephalopathy lawsuit involving more than $25 million in damages – defense verdict.
- Served as litigation counsel on behalf of a healthcare corporation in a complex neonatal encephalopathy lawsuit involving more than $20 million in claimed damages – defense verdict.
- Successfully represented an obstetrician-gynecologist in a brachial plexus injury lawsuit – defeated claims with summary judgment.
- Assisted with the representation of an obstetrician-gynecologist in a complex neonatal encephalopathy lawsuit involving more than $30 million in claimed damages – settled for nuisance value.
- Served as trial counsel on behalf of a plastic surgeon in a claim of misdiagnosis – defense verdict.
- Represented a construction company in a lawsuit filed by a class representative – successfully defeated class certification.
- Served as trial counsel in a complex neonatal encephalopathy lawsuit involving more than $30 million in damages – defense verdict.
- Prepared multiple healthcare providers for intense evidentiary depositions in a lawsuit involving claims of professional malpractice that lead to catastrophic injury – deponents vehemently defended their care during depositions, which led to a favorable nuisance value settlement.
- Successfully defended a healthcare corporation in a neonatal encephalopathy lawsuit involving more than $20 million in damages – favorable settlement for the client.
- Initiated outside peer reviews of a neurosurgeon involved in a series of patient complaints – effectively counseled the healthcare organization on ways to conduct prospective internal peer reviews in compliance with Medical Staff Bylaws to reduce liability.
Phone: (678) 771-3268
Phone: (678) 771-3268
Email: Email Me